Tuesday, June 8, 2010

RUN with me...

(me running around the reservoir in central park)

I consider myself to be in pretty good physical shape, but the one thing that has always scared (and intimidated) me is running. In middle school, I was the girl who finished the annual "mile run" dead last in her class. So it's really no wonder that I mentally convinced myself that becoming a runner was just not in the cards. I really thought I could not do it. What was wrong with me?! I am trying to change that way of thinking because -in reality- you can do anything you set your mind to. ANYTHING! My boyfriend Nick has been an avid runner since college and has done nothing but push and encourage me since the moment I told him I wanted to run. On a few occasions, we have even gone running together, but I have never gotten past 1.58 miles (the distance of one lap around the Jackie Onassis Reservoir in Central Park). Tonight, I fought through my usual after-work fatigue and went to my local gym on 86th St and Lexington Ave. I was able to run a solid 3 miles! I was so proud of myself and could not wait to rush home and tell Nick. Walking home I was glowing (and sweating) with excitement! Though I really had to mentally push myself, I couldn't believe I actually did it! Now to some of you, running 3 miles may not seem like that big of an accomplishment. But to me, IT HUGE! 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!!! You most definitely CAN do anything your set your mind to!

    I'm loving these NYC pics...I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete